Besides the tutorial the game can be played in two different modes, story mode and survival mode. The games differ besides of the story in game saving and the bestowing of knowledge at the Mystical Monuments.
Basic game concepts like walking, running and crafting items were introduced explained.
It is not possible to die in this mode, as the stamina cannot drop beneath a fixed value.
- Saving the game in this mode needs some preparation and time. The game is saved only when the player visits the Endly Altar and makes an offering there or consumes a Charred Heart.
- If the player dies, there's a chance to continue playing by entering the Ends.
- Winter never rolls over into spring in this mode, so don't try waiting it out.
- The game will be automatically saved after every night.
- At the Mystical Monuments, there are always four altars offering a single item each, but there are eight different sets of altars.
After completing story mode, freedom is displayed on restart.